December 29 - (5 Min Read)
When you think about your everyday routine, what is the one constant item that is always present? The answer is under your fingertips, it’s in front of your eyes, and in the palm of your hands. If it’s not a PC, it’s a laptop, a tablet or a smartphone. Our everyday lives heavily revolve around technology.
These electronic devices have become such a huge part of our day-to-day routine that the idea of carrying out certain tasks without them would seem crazy to most, not to mention challenging! We’re so reliant on these gadgets that we use them for practically everything. Since we’re so glued to them, you’d think we know everything there is to know about them right? Wrong! There are so many fun facts we have yet to discover!
We have searched high and low, to come up with the eight most quirky, fun and interesting facts surrounding technology and social media platforms.
1. Want to know who’s an avid computer user? Simply look at their eyes and count how many times they blink. It’s interesting to know that a computer user blinks only 7 times in a minute, whereas the average human being blinks approximately 20 times in that one minute.
2. If Facebook were a country it would be the largest country on Earth! The huge social network site boasts of 1.79 billion monthly active users worldwide. That’s more than the entire Chinese population, which is considered to be the world’s most populous country with an estimate of 1.38 billion people. Well, that’s a relief, I’m not the only one addicted to it 😜
3. Talking about people, did you know that when you hit the spacebar on your keyboard, approximately 600,000 people in the world are doing the exact same thing! It’s not only the longest key but also the most frequently used, after all without spacing it would be quitehardtogothroughthisblog, right?!
4. The first computer mouse was invented and developed way back in the 1960s by Douglas Engelbart with the assistance of his lead engineer Bill English and constructed out of wood. It got its name as early models resembled the common mouse as they had a cord attached to the rear part of the device suggesting the idea of a tail.
5. There are over 7.47 billion people in the world, and it is estimated that over 3.7 billion of them own a mobile phone but, and this is where it gets icky, only around 3.5 billion own a toothbrush 😕 So much for personal hygiene!!
6. The total number of people who use YouTube is of 1,300,000,000, making it the third most visited website worldwide. Around 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute! WOW!
7. Email use worldwide steadily continues to grow. In fact, statistics presented by Radicati Group show that the estimated number of emails sent daily is around 205 billion, which means that 2.4 million emails are sent every second.
8. We suggest that if you haven’t yet taken any precautions with regards to safeguarding your tech, you do so right now as it is estimated that over 6,000 viruses are released every month :O Well, with data breaches and cyber attacks being the highlight of 2016, this should come as no surprise! Tip: To help you sleep better at night, make sure you install an antivirus software on your PC or laptop and don’t forget to secure your passwords too. You might also want to take a look at Ellp’s new privacy cards while you’re at it 🙂
Any other cool tech or social media facts you know about which we missed?
Tech topics such as storage, Internet, performance, social media, privacy, security, devices, multimedia, applications, power and more, are at the heart of our discussions. Stay on top of your device experience and get the latest how-to articles and top insights from our Ellpers.